Over the course of the next month and a half, we will be discussing the seven principles of good design and how we at Columbia Paint can help you execute each of the seven principles in your home.
The Seven Principles are:
- Unity: A sense of uniformity or harmony in the space
- Balance: Achieving visual equilibrium through the ordered distribution of elements of equal visual weight around a central axis. Can be symmetrical, asymmetrical, or radial
- Rhythm: Suggests connected movement between different elements of interior design. Elements can be repeated, alternated, or arranged in progression to maintain a “visual tempo”
- Emphasis: A central piece of art or furniture plays the role of a focal point or attention grabber. Other items around the focal point are used to complement it
- Contrast: Can be achieved through differences in color, form, and space
- Scale & Proportion: Ensures objects placed in a space look like they belong to each other. Achieving a harmony that is established through size, dimension, shape, or color of objects and how they relate to one another
- Details: The little things in a space that add life and interest to it
Each of these principles contributes to the overall success of your space. Today we will be focusing on Unity; This refers to a sense of uniformity or harmony in a space.
One of the easiest methods of quickly and inexpensively unifying a space is with paint. The right paint color can transform a space of disjointed objects and help them relate to one another. A great example of a unifying color is Revere Pewter. It works well in multiple spaces and is an industry favorite for open floor plans. It is light enough for a small space and interesting enough for a large room. Often when a room needs updating from beiges or earth tones, Revere Pewter is the perfect transitional color to fix a space.
Utilizing prints from a single brand’s collection is a surefire method for achieving unity in a space. Companies like Thibaut have extremely user-friendly collections that help homeowners attain a unified and sophisticated look every time.
Our designers and color consultants are here to help you achieve your design dreams! Come see us at Columbia Paint or Clarksville Paint and Decorating Design Centers for one on one assistance. We have over 250 wallcovering books and nearly as many fabric books. We also carry rugs, window coverings, and everything you need to paint your space. Stay tuned for next week’s design principle feature; We will be providing more tips and tricks to DIY your interior design.
NEW LOCATIONS! COME VISIT US AND EXPLORE!
We’ve moved from the Dobbin Road location to our new, roomy location just down the road:
6822 Oak Hall Lane, Suite C2, Columbia MD 21045
Expect the same one-stop shopping for all your decorating needs. We are a full-service Benjamin Moore dealer offering the best quality of decorating products at the best prices around. We have a large supply of paint and paint supplies, wallcoverings, custom window treatments, fabrics and now NEW flooring selections from Kaleen Rugs and Luxury Vinyl Tile selections. And of course the same excellent customer service, knowledge and customer satisfaction that you’ve come to expect.
ANNOUNCING OUR SECOND LOCATION:
Clarksville Paint & Decorating
12447 Clarksville Pike, Suite 1A, Clarksville, MD
We are proud to announce our second location, Clarksville Paint & Decorating! Carrying the same products and providing the same quality customer service as the Columbia location, we look forward to serving Clarksville and the surrounding communities of Dayton, Highland, Glenelg, Glenwood, Cooksville, West Friendship and more!
Stop by to see us today and be sure to visit our website: http://www.columbiapaintco.com/clarksville-paint-decorating/
Get in Touch with Columbia Paint Company Today
Columbia Paint Company is happy to help you choose the perfect color for your painting project and offer you tips for every step of the way. Not sure how to make sure your siding, trim, and accent colors match? Need to see the paints you loved online in person? Schedule an appointment today by calling 443-319-4001 or visiting us online. For more painting tips and updates, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Houzz, YouTube, and Pinterest!