Over the course of the next month and a half we will be discussing the seven principles of good design and how we at Columbia Paint can help you execute each of the seven principles in your home.
The Seven Principles are:
- Unity: A sense of uniformity or harmony in the space
- Balance: Achieving visual equilibrium through ordered distribution of elements of equal visual weight around a central axis. Can be symmetrical, asymmetrical, or radial
- Rhythm: Suggests connected movement between different elements of interior design. Elements can be repeated, alternated, or arranged in progression to maintain a “visual tempo”
- Emphasis: A central piece of art or furniture plays the role of a focal point or attention grabber. Other items around the focal point are used to complement it
- Contrast: Can be achieved through differences in color, form, and space
- Scale & Proportion: Ensures objects placed in a space look like they belong to each other. Achieving a harmony that is established through size, dimension, shape, or color of objects and how they relate to one another
- Details: The little things in a space that add life and interest to it
Each of these principles contributes to the overall success of your space. Today we will be focusing on Balance, which refers to achieving visual equilibrium through ordered distribution of elements of equal visual weight around a central axis. The balance of a space can be symmetrical, asymmetrical, or radial.
Color is a quick and simple tool for achieving balance in a space. The dark accent wall in the photo below balances the deep colors in the desktop and fireplace surround. The elements in the room are asymmetrical, yet still feel balanced.
Symmetry is a surefire way to bring a sense of peace and balance to a space. In the photo below, the designer capitalized on the symmetrical built-ins and styled them accordingly. The identical chairs and pair of lamps also contribute to the cohesiveness and balance of the room.
The central axis of the room below radiates from the light fixture. The symmetry of the chairs on either side of the French doors, as well as both sides of the table add a sense of balance to the room. The candelabras on both ends of the table keep the room grounded despite the angled ceiling in the room.
Are you looking to add some balance to your home décor?
Our designers and color consultants are here to help you achieve your design dreams! Come see us at Columbia Paint or Clarksville Paint and Decorating Design Centers for one on one assistance. We have over 250 wallcovering books and nearly as many fabric books. We also carry rugs, window coverings, and everything you need to paint your space. Stay tuned for next week’s design principle feature; We will be providing more tips and tricks to DIY your interior design.
NEW LOCATIONS! COME VISIT US AND EXPLORE!
We’ve moved from the Dobbin Road location to our new, roomy location just down the road:
6822 Oak Hall Lane, Suite C2, Columbia MD 21045
Expect the same one-stop shopping for all your decorating needs. We are a full-service Benjamin Moore dealer offering the best quality of decorating products at the best prices around. We have a large supply of paint and paint supplies, wallcoverings, custom window treatments, fabrics and now NEW flooring selections from Kaleen Rugs and Luxury Vinyl Tile selections. And of course the same excellent customer service, knowledge and customer satisfaction that you’ve come to expect.
ANNOUNCING OUR SECOND LOCATION:
Clarksville Paint & Decorating
12447 Clarksville Pike, Suite 1A, Clarksville, MD
We are proud to announce our second location, Clarksville Paint & Decorating! Carrying the same products and providing the same quality customer service as the Columbia location, we look forward to serving Clarksville and the surrounding communities of Dayton, Highland, Glenelg, Glenwood, Cooksville, West Friendship and more!
Stop by to see us today and be sure to visit our website: http://www.columbiapaintco.com/clarksville-paint-decorating/
Get in Touch with Columbia Paint Company Today
Columbia Paint Company is happy to help you choose the perfect color for your painting project and offer you tips for every step of the way. Not sure how to make sure your siding, trim, and accent colors match? Need to see the paints you loved online in person? Schedule an appointment today by calling 443-319-4001 or visiting us online. For more painting tips and updates, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Houzz, YouTube, and Pinterest!