Are you ready to change up the way that your home looks from the street? Or, are you interested in using the same color as before to spruce up the outside of your home? Painting your home’s exterior is a fun process, and easier than you think with these tips. Columbia Paint knows a lot about exterior paint, and here are some of our best tips for novice and seasoned exterior home painters alike.
Exterior Paint 101
Before you can get started, make sure that you have everything you need. Plan on purchasing:
- Exterior flat or eggshell paint
- Exterior semigloss paint
- Pressure washer
- Painter’s tape
- Drop cloths
- Paint scraper
- Stain-blocking primer
- Epoxy filler
- Medium-grit sanding block
- Spackle knife
- Exterior caulk
- Caulk gun
- Plastic sheeting
The exterior paint process then should proceed as follows:
- Pressure wash the walls to remove any dirt and dust from the surface, working your way from top to bottom.
- Repair any damaged surfaces on the outside of your home before you start painting. Let them dry and then sand them down for a seamless finish.
- Remove any loose paint from the exterior with a paint scraper or sanding block, as this can cause an uneven finish.
- Fill the small gaps between your house and trim using exterior caulk and a caulk gun.
- Prime any stained areas with a stain-blocking primer and paintbrush so that they don’t show through on the final product.
- Protect your windows, exterior lights, and doors with plastic sheeting and some sturdy painter’s tape.
- Paint the exterior of your home with the flat color first in a paint sprayer. Use one or two coats to cover the entire exterior of your home, while working from top to bottom in a smooth pattern. If your home is currently a dark color and you want it to be lighter, use a primer first instead of the base color.
- Next, paint the trim and doors using a smaller paintbrush.
- Let dry and enjoy your hard work!
Exterior Paint from Columbia Paint
Columbia Paint Company is happy to help you choose the perfect color for your painting project, get you the best window shades for your room, and offer you tips for every step of the way. Not sure how to make sure your siding, trim, and accent colors match? Need to see the paints you loved online in person? Schedule an appointment today by calling 443-319-4001 or visiting us online. For more painting tips and updates, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Houzz, YouTube, and Pinterest!