Check Out Our Online Store! Shop Online

Benjamin Moore

Here Are The Most Seven Common Paint Brushes

One of the most cost-effective ways to radically change your house is with a new paint job. A few cans of primer and paint and a few hours can be all needed to create a new feeling in a space. But walls aren’t the only place that we use paint. We also use paint on cabinets, fences, swing sets, crown molding, and (of course) to make art, and none of this is possible without a paintbrush. Read on to learn about the seven major types of paintbrushes.

Columbia Paint Paint Brushes

Here are the seven most common paintbrushes.

Wash Paint Brushes

This is the most common type of brush that you’d use on your DIY paint projects. These acrylic brushes have medium-long bristles and are flat with a squared-off end. They offer maximum coverage and apply paint smoothly. They are also great for varnish. 

Flat Paint Brushes

A flat brush is a smaller version of the wash brush. The brush is still flat, but the ends are slightly curved rather than squared-off. The flat brush is also less thick than the wash brush, so the wash brush can carry more paint and provide more excellent coverage. The flat brush is better for a smaller work surface that needs to be covered relatively quickly.

Filbert Paint Brushes

The filbert is a flat brush; like the flat brush, it has a round or oval point at the end. The filbert kind has the best of both worlds, combining qualities of the round and flat brush – it can do both thin lines and broad strokes.

Angled Paint Brushes

This brush style has an angled or slanted tip. The bristles are shorter at one end and longer at the other but lay flat overall. This is a good brush for filling corners and is also ideal for creating curved lines.

Fan Brush

On a fan brush, the bristles spread out in a fan shape. It is still flat and thin. This brush is best for details and artistic work, especially painting natural elements like trees or adding highlights to painted images.

Round Brush

The round brush is the paintbrush equivalent of a pen or pencil. It is round and pointed to create both thin and thick lines and comes in various sizes.

Liner Brush

This brush is also called a rigger brush and is very, very long and thin. The very tip can be flat, square, or pointed. This brush is used for creating excellent, thin lines. 


We’ve moved from the Dobbin Road location to our new, roomy location just down the road:

Columbia Paint and Decorating, a Benjamin Moore Dealer: 6822 Oak Hall Lane, Suite C2, Columbia MD 21045 phone number: 443-319-4001

Expect the same one-stop shopping for all your decorating needs. We are a full-service Benjamin Moore dealer offering the best quality decorating products at the best prices. We have ample paint and paint supplies, wallcoverings, custom window treatments, fabrics, and now, NEW flooring selections from Kaleen Rugs and Luxury Vinyl Tile samples. And, of course, the same excellent customer service, knowledge, and customer satisfaction that you’ve come to expect.


Clarksville Paint & Decorating, a Benjamin Moore Dealer

12447 Clarksville Pike, Suite 1A, Clarksville, MD

At Columbia Paint you'll find all the necessary tools to complete your project. We even offer color consultation to ensure your satisfaction. Visit our website, call us or stop in today!
6505 Dobbin Rd